It saddens me that I can't post something tremendously long and meaningful as most others have thus far. I haven't got a fantastic mental capacity for putting my brain on paper, unless it's purely on a whim. When I feel like writing, I can write for a fucking century. When I don't, it's hard to make something mildly interesting come out. So I'll see how talking about what's happening right now goes.
Like Sam, I like ranting. But I need some sort of impetus before I do. An idea that someone's mentioned that sparks my brain into friggin' 9th gear, for example. So I'll start with my annoyance with the words "I love you." Or moreso, the people that use them, not the words themselves.
Over the past however many years, months maybe, I think those words have... I dunno, gone into the lingual equivalent of a coma. There's something intrinsic to their meaning that I think has been mostly lost in mine and the younger generations. Says a lot for the future of the human race, eh? Hah, maybe not.
"ily". The fuck is it? An abbreviation for "I love you" is hardly appropriate. Not to sound like a teacher there or anything, by the way, but seriously; I love you is probably the most important and powerful word combination on the planet, or in the universe, and then someone goes and abbreviates it. In my opinion, this has pretty much destroyed the significance of the phrase completely. It wasn't so bad that it was just a typable abbreviation, but then for people to actually use it as a true replacement for "I love you", and to say it out loud like "ill-eeh" is shit. Who the hell pronunciates abbreviations? Er, apart from that starting with "lol" and its buddies. How does saying "ily" have any relevance to what it's apparently supposed to mean?
Verbally saying "ily" really has no meaning at all. It's just a random combination of sounds, a 'word' that doesn't truly exist in any way or form. Love is friggin' important. Why the hell would you skimp and shortcut possibly the three biggest words of your life? For most of us in this world, love will eventually consume most of our lives, spent on one (or more <_>) people for probably the majority it. Basically, we love for a fucking long time, and to try and save time by not actually telling someone you love them by using an abbreviation instead... please.
Then again, our gen's still young. Not like any of us would find such a serious relationship at this point, so maybe things can change yet.
Aaanyways, the rant's over. More later, perhaps. :D
-antlers
Like Sam, I like ranting. But I need some sort of impetus before I do. An idea that someone's mentioned that sparks my brain into friggin' 9th gear, for example. So I'll start with my annoyance with the words "I love you." Or moreso, the people that use them, not the words themselves.
Over the past however many years, months maybe, I think those words have... I dunno, gone into the lingual equivalent of a coma. There's something intrinsic to their meaning that I think has been mostly lost in mine and the younger generations. Says a lot for the future of the human race, eh? Hah, maybe not.
"ily". The fuck is it? An abbreviation for "I love you" is hardly appropriate. Not to sound like a teacher there or anything, by the way, but seriously; I love you is probably the most important and powerful word combination on the planet, or in the universe, and then someone goes and abbreviates it. In my opinion, this has pretty much destroyed the significance of the phrase completely. It wasn't so bad that it was just a typable abbreviation, but then for people to actually use it as a true replacement for "I love you", and to say it out loud like "ill-eeh" is shit. Who the hell pronunciates abbreviations? Er, apart from that starting with "lol" and its buddies. How does saying "ily" have any relevance to what it's apparently supposed to mean?
Verbally saying "ily" really has no meaning at all. It's just a random combination of sounds, a 'word' that doesn't truly exist in any way or form. Love is friggin' important. Why the hell would you skimp and shortcut possibly the three biggest words of your life? For most of us in this world, love will eventually consume most of our lives, spent on one (or more <_>) people for probably the majority it. Basically, we love for a fucking long time, and to try and save time by not actually telling someone you love them by using an abbreviation instead... please.
Then again, our gen's still young. Not like any of us would find such a serious relationship at this point, so maybe things can change yet.
Aaanyways, the rant's over. More later, perhaps. :D
-antlers
+1 antlers.
ReplyDeletelol ed. ty.
ReplyDeleteily anton.
ReplyDeletexoxo.
lmao.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLanguage is contextual. Saying "illeeee" to your friends after making a cruel joke is different to saying "I... love you..." after a really long night with a girl. It's like a friend calling you an idiot jovially versus your brother calling you an idiot becasue you didn't take the bins out. It's never the words, it's the intent. People can tell the difference between a joke and something serious. So when someone says "ilyyyy" it's their way of expressing a platonic affection rather than telling someone that they have undying, extremely strong feelings for them.
ReplyDeleteFair point Matty boy. I still think personally, it's not quite the right thing to say. You don't necessarily have to say "I love you" in complete seriousness; it works the same way as you're saying "ily" works in that last sentence. Which means you are quite right about the intent of how you say it, but again, this is just my opinion.
ReplyDelete